Announcements and Important Events
Chieftain Parents/Guardians & Student-Athletes: 6.8.20
Thank you for your patience over the past couple months as we prepare for the return of our student-athletes/coaching staff for summer activities starting Wednesday, June 10, three topics we really need your support with:
1) If your athlete doesn’t feel good, do not allow them to attend a workout. Nothing this summer is worth taking a chance and our Athletic Department and coaching staff want everyone to err on the side of extreme caution.
2) Please help us get this message across to your son/daughter, from the moment they arrive on campus and eventually depart, there must be a minimum distance of 6 feet between individuals at all times.
3) We are not allowed to provide water at our workouts, students will need to bring their own fluids for all activities under the current guidelines.
Other reminders to discuss with your athlete:
1) All coaches and students will be screened before workouts for signs/symptoms of Covid-19, including a temperature check. Anyone with a temperature of greater than 100.3 degrees, cough, sore throat, shortness of breath, or close contact/cared for someone with Covid-19 will be sent home and must contact their primary care provider or other health-care professional receiving written permission before returning to summer activities. Any positive cases of Covid discovered (student-athlete/coaches) must involve immediate communication with the Dowagiac Athletic Department and local health departments. Workouts will be immediately shut down with that individual program until we can confirm that no one else on the team has tested positive (at a minimum of 14 days).
2) Parents/Guardians dropping off students at workouts must wait until your athlete has been cleared for the workout before leaving. Students arriving on bikes should distance from other bikes and please bring a lock.
3) We recommend that cloth face coverings be worn by students (exceptions: distance running or other high-intensity aerobic activities.)
4) Dowagiac Union High School, APEX, and Chris Taylor Alumni Field locker rooms will not be open.
5) Restrooms at Chris Taylor Alumni Field and APEX will be available with proper cleaning and physical distancing practiced.
1) Wash your hands with soap/hand sanitizer, especially after touching frequently used items or surfaces.
2) Avoid touching your face, sneeze/cough into a tissue or inside of your elbow.
3) No spitting (including sunflower seeds).
4) Bring your own water bottle, hydration stations will not be utilized. Any food should not be shared. 5) Physical contact such as handshakes, high-fives, fist bumps, and hugs are not allowed.
1) Students should immediately return home to shower and wash clothing.
2) SPORT SPECIFIC ACTIVITY Please review the MHSAA June 2 memo concerning sports your athlete participates in.
Any questions, please contact me by email: firstname.lastname@example.org The June 2nd MHSAA Memo is attached, please review this with your athlete. If state guidelines change, we’ll continue to communicate changes in procedures.